Membership in OLLI allows members to take up to three study groups in a semester. A member may add a fourth study group after the first week of class if a study group in underenrolled. There is a Fall Semester and a Spring Semester.
In addition, OLLI offers February Shorts and July Shorts which meet 2-5 times over the course of one week and June Minis, which meet once a week for 4 weeks.
Each academic session has offerings in-person and online, with some in a hybrid format. Most online classes are recorded and made available for later viewing until the end of the session. That way, members who missed a session can catch up, and members who are registered for the session but not for a particular online class can view it after the fact.
A selection of our online classes from each academic session is added to our permanent Digital Library, where members can view entire courses at their leisure. Registering for one academic session in a fiscal year grants members access to our entire Digital Library, which contains dozens of popular courses from past semesters, shorts, and minis.
Membership in OLLI provides an opportunity for increased social interaction and new friendships based on a shared interest in learning. Informal lunchtime discussions and special events such as open houses or the holiday party provide some of the many occasions for socializing. Many outgrowths of OLLI have developed among members interested in pursuing a topic in depth. Each “OLLI Opportunity” or “OLLI Ops” meets independently and provides an environment of continued friendship and learning.
- Open Houses occur each fall and spring, enabling new and continuing members to get together, learn about OLLI, and meet study group leaders.
- The Town Hall in the fall and Annual Meeting in the spring give members an opportunity to see others, voice concerns, ask questions, and learn more about OLLI’s future plans.
- Lecture Series take place during each semester, January, and May. Lectures feature members of the greater Washington, DC community, each speaking on a special field of interest. During the semesters, lectures are held on Fridays from 1:30-2:30 PM. In January and May, lectures are held from 10:00 to 11:00 AM. Lectures are free and open to the public. See the Lecture Series page for more information.
- Serendipities! are talks or presentations by OLLI members or their friends. Serendipities are free and open to the public.
- A Holiday Party is held in December.
- Happy Hours with wine, hors d'oeuvres, and pizza are scheduled from 4:00-6:00 PM during milder weather at PIzzeria Paradiso, directly across the street from OLLI.
- OLLI Ops are group gatherings organized by OLLI members with a specific shared interest. Some examples are the James Joyce Bloomsday group and the OLLI KnitWits (knitting group). Contact the Office for how to join a group. Read more about current OLLI Ops.
- Join other OLLI members on Trips to local sites, such as the National Cathedral, or nearby museums, such as the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, when we are meeting in person and are presented online during Covid. Benefit from professional tour guides and discounted group rates as well as the company of fellow OLLI members.
American university benefits
- All OLLI members enjoy the privilege of access to the University's Bender Library during the academic sessions for which they are registered. The library is located on main campus at the west end of the university quadrangle.
- The library requires a valid, government issued photo ID for account creation and for borrowing. The library is sent a list of members and SGLs before each academic session. They will issue a borrowing card to be used along with the ID.
- AU Library books may be borrowed with an account (up to 25 at a time). The checkout period is four weeks and renewal is available (all items are subject to recall and may need to be returned sooner).
- Most of the library’s electronic resources (databases and journals) are available on an as-needed basis to have access while physically at the library. Due to licensing agreements, remote access is only available to current AU students, staff, and faculty.
- Click here to view the current library hours. Learn more.
- All OLLI members are eligible for a semester membership to both Jacobs Fitness Center at a discounted rate. Feel free to call the Fitness Center at 202-885-6267. Please note that you will need to provide proof of vaccination to be eligible to purchase a membership. Learn more.
Each Friday OLLI publishes an e-newsletter providing members with up-to-the-minute information on classes, lectures, events, and news at OLLI.